After a wonderful year filled with joyful encounters during all the different workshop we hosted with Ophelie, we are looking forward to 2018. We are thrilled to announce that our next retreat will take you outside France… to Marrakech, one of the most vibrants cities in Morocco! Since I have been going to Marrakech (pretty much every year since for the last 6 years), I have learnt to discover its duality: coloured and monochrome, modern and traditional, quiet and bustling,…Marrakech is all of that, full of contrasts. Behind every door is a new wonder…
Food photography & lifestyle
During five days, we will take you to the Ocre City for a food photography and lifestyle retreat. We will be immersed to explore food traditions and culinary arts with the aim to tell the story of this Imperial City that has kept its authentic charm and hospitality. We’ll bond together to feel the soul of Marrakech.
Imagine the delicious scents of herbs & spices, the colorful souks and the bustling Jemaa El Fna square taking you along in the heart of the Medina while savoring traditional home-cooked meals and waking up to birdsongs in a secret Riad. Dar Kawa is the perfect place for us to take time to slow down and get inspired to develop your photographic voice as well as your aesthetic eye.
Our workshop will be hands on and will bring you plenty opportunities to shoot and style, in order to develop your skills to tell a visual story, create an atmosphere whilst managing natural light and learning how to style beautiful local produce.
We will also take an afternoon to explore the Medina and share with you our best addresses to fill up your suitcase with kitchen props and decoration items. Before we drop we’ll enjoy a well deserved mint tea in a peaceful garden with magnificent scenic views of the Medina. We will make a trip to the local fruit & vegetables market in the old town, and get into cooking and styling local Moroccan dishes. Plus we will visit a workshop in the Medina to discover traditional crafts, which are still very vivid in the area.
Our pastry chefs duo, Linda @hinalys and Mayumi, Mimi’s French Pastry, will enlighten us with revisited Moroccan desserts. After our busy creative days, our evenings will be rich with conversations and we will share leisurely meals made with locally sourced and seasonal ingredients and pairing wines.
Last but not least, we will take some time to review with you some basics photo editing with Lightroom, or how to create a visual story with all your images from the week. The aim is to leave the retreat with lots of images and a full dose of Marrakech vibrant culture and an unforgettable experience
Are you ready to reinvent your senses with us in this magical City?
A beautiful book about travelling and cooking throughout Morocco : Colour of Maroc
February 19th to 23rd of February 2018.
(Arriving on Monday late afternoon for a welcome dinner).
The workshop will take place at Dar Kawa in the heart of the Medina (old town) in Marrakech, about 30 min from Menara airport.
See accommodation, here.
Photos credits : Dar Kawa
Anyone who is interested in creating beautiful content for their blog, professional website, social media, add new images to their portfolio, or just out of personal interest or develop a new hobby. Anyone with an interest in connecting with and learning from creative, clever and inspiring people who share the same passion.
We do ask that you have basic understanding of your camera functions.
Both digital and film cameras are welcome.
Several price options are available:
– 1950 euros on the basis of a double room single occupancy (2 rooms) – sold out
– 1650 euros on the basis of a shared room (2 rooms for 2 persons) – 1 spot left
– 1250 euros for locals, residents of Marrakech or persons with their own accommodation (2 spots left) (included welcome dinner, excluded accommodation, all breakfasts and 2 dinners)
- 4 nights accommodation at Dar Kawa (excl. price for locals)
- 4 full breakfasts (excl. price for locals)
- 3 lunches (including 2 outside the Riad)
- 3 dinners (one free evening)
- 1 visit to the local market fruit & vegetables with our local cook and lunch prepping at the Riad
- 1 afternoon visit around the Medina with our local guide Marianne
- 1 mint tea ceremony at a selected café
- 1 morning visit to a ceramist artisan in the Medina
- 1 day in the countryside for a lunch under the trees and from an organic veggie patch
- 1 visit to a communal bread oven and a bread making demo led by our local cook
- 1 cake styling demo led by our dear pastry chefs Linda and Mayumi
- Discussions/teaching from Ophélie and Sandrine
- 6 Sessions and hands-on exercises in styling and photography
- A session on editing with Lightroom
- A welcome gift
Does not include:
- Airfares and/or transportation to/from Marrakech and transfers from the airport to the Riad – Transfers from the airport, but can be arranged for you if you wish via the intermediary of the Riad the transfer should be paid directly to the driver).
- One evening dinner.
- Optional: you can book for the special Couscous Lunch Dar Kawa which is held every Friday for 250 dh / 25 euros per person (limited space). This should be paid directly to Dar Kawa after the lunch. Do let us know if you want the option so w can book your spot.
- Price for locals: accommodation, breakfasts and 2 dinners are not included.
- Any personal expenses during the retreat
Conditions and terms of cancelation:
We require an initial payment of 50% of the total amount to secure your spot, another payment of 50% will be due no later than January 19, 2018.
Less than 30 days before arrival: 100% of the total reservation is due and will not be refunded.
Due to the nature of the retreat and the time spent with the organisation, note that no refund will be made once your booking is confirmed, unless you find someone to fill your spot.
Bookings are now open and you can register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot. Feel free to email us if you have further questions!