These chewy macadamia nuts brownies have recently become my favourite recipe. I have never had a good brownies recipe up until now when I found this chewy fudge brownies recipe on the New York Times Cooking website here. With some adjustments, it has become my easy recipe for parties. Last week I did twice in a row for my brother birthday!
The first time I tried it, I swapped the butter for coconut oil as I needed to finish a jar. I also cut the sugar quantity more than in half, because I was using a dark chocolate (70% cacao) tablet which already contains some sugar (31g in the Lindt dessert 70%) and two 3/4 cups is way too much sugar even with unsweetened chocolate (ie 100% cacao) and I used hazelnuts instead of walnuts. It turned out to be a great picnic cake for my friends’ son Birthday party in the park. Everyone loved it!
For my second test, I decided to use only butter and macadamia nuts and kept the sugar amount to one cup as per my first trial. The brownies turned out not as moist my first attempt and slightly over cooked. I used a different oven which I did not know so well.
Eventually for the third trial, I mixed half butter and half coconut oil and the results were much better than the second one. I did manage the baking time much better too!
Finally, I have to say that as much I love pecan nuts and hazelnuts in brownies, macadamia nuts combined with coconut oil give wonderful flavours to this American classic. You can call this version Australian now!
Have a good weekend!
- 1 1/2 cup macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup rapadura or raw sugar
- 255g / 9oz dark chocolate (70% to 100% cacao)
- 1 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil (or half/half), plus more for greasing pan
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Spread the nut on a tray covered with baking paper and roast for 8 to 10 min at 150°C / 300°F. Check the nuts to avoid over roasting. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the side.
- Grease the baking pan with butter and spread flour evenly to cover the butter.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and salt for 2/3 min or until creamy and lighten in colour. Add the butter softened at room temperature and melted chocolate (via a double boiler).
- Add the flour in four times and mix until combined.
- Fold in the macadamia nuts. Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 180°C / 350°F. Check after 20 minutes to avoid over-baking. When the tip of a knife inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs, remove brownies from the oven. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and leave in the pan before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container if you can manage to keep it for several days.
- These brownies are best prepared the day before.
vintage square pan / handmade mini paper bunting flags / silverware forks / plates by Johnson of Australia